The Style Rover takes New York City
Being ‘upstate’ has many benefits, namely being very close to the US. With this in mind I decided to take full advantage of being in the American continent. My boss kindly let me take the Friday off work in order to ‘pop down’ to New York. I was keen to visit some friends who were passing by the Big Apple, coincidentally the weekend of New York Fashion Week. What can I say, the Style Rover timed it perfectly 😉
Unfortunately I am not enough of an insider to get to tickets to the shows, nevertheless, I decided to hang around outside the venues in order to people-watch and take street-style photos. I was very impressed and awed by the wide variety of different outfits and styles. Here is a selection of my favourite looks:
This was my first time approaching people to take their photo, so I was a bit nervous. Despite this, all the fashionistas were more than happy to pose and pout, and I managed to snap quite a few shots.
A few things I have learnt from street-style photography during Fashion Week:
• You don’t have to ask people’s permission to take their photo. Maybe that’s obvious, but it wasn’t to me.
• That means the walk to the venue is basically a catwalk, filled with eager photographers and strutting insiders. And most people love getting their photo taken.
• The photographers range from old men (paparazzi style with professional cameras), young bloggers, aspiring fashionistas and tourists with their iPhones.
• Everyone looks so well put-together it will make you want to cry.
• Street-style photographers are intense. They will go to extremes to get the best possible shot. Even running out onto a passing road, completely disregarding the shouting security guards.
• It’s exhausting. I stood outside the venue for an hour before I called it a day.
The men were equally looking very dapper.
What I wore:
It was a very warm weekend, so I wanted something floaty and stylish that would not get in my way as I attempted to take photos, and that would also be worthy of NYFW.
See more of my street style photos HERE !!